Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Confusing things on User ID tracking

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In my case I've set the used ID tracking, set it default value in code to '(user id not set)' and set the appropriate google tag manager data layer variable default value to 'null'.

In reports we can see that we have one userID that's value is 'null' and it's Avg. Session Duration is '00:24:17'.

2016-04-27_18-06-03.jpg

I've changed the userID secondary dimension to MinuteIndex to go deeper, but couldn't find the right row, because there wasn't Avg. Session Duration with '00:24:17'.

2016-04-27_18-15-51.jpg 

Any ideas?
Or please, could anyone explain this type of things like all session count don't match the rows summary, or data layer variables comes empty but shouldn't.

And finally how analytics deals with opted out users.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CarsonDellosa A
April 2016

Re: Confusing things on User ID tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Avg Session Duration is not a very reliable number to use since it is a calculation based on other metrics which could be affected by the selection of dimensions. It is also based on Sessions, which is a problematic metric since it is recorded against the first hit of the session, but not on the rest.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You for answer Mike,

Any ideas how this data layer variable default value happened?
Because I'm pretty sure that we send this from our backend. And one thing - all variables took their default values in this session.
Is it related to opt out?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
GTM is not in my realm of knowledge. I found the product too prone to confusing situations like this. Extremely powerful, but not easy to understand at times.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.