Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Compute the #session and session duration for a specific set of pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I generate a custom report. In the filter section, I exclude some "bad" pages. (I think this makes my report "page-level")

Screenshot from 2016-07-28 14_43_38.png 

Then the result shows that the #sessions is less than #users:

Screenshot from 2016-07-28 14_49_57.png

I realize that it is normal after reading this page, which suggests to use unique pageview instead of sessions. However, this solution is not applicable here because here I am including A SET OF pages, rather than one particular page. So the number of unique pages must be more than the actual number of sessions. Also, the wrong session number also impact the session duration measure.

So what should I do here to get actual #sessions and session duration?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Compute the #session and session duration for a specific set of pages

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Chong instead of creating a custom report why not just add the two exclude filters via the advance filter option on the built in report located at Audience-->Mobile-->Overview it already includes sessions which should equal your users so you can derive users and subtract new users to get return users if you need those metrics. Much easier to trouble shoot a canned report than to try and trouble shoot a custom report.

Re: Compute the #session and session duration for a specific set of pages

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Try using a segment that matches your exclusion filter.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan