Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Combining two websites in GA

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

All,

I have changed my websites domain name and have 302'd my old site to the new one, how do I compare now in GA the performance of the old site vs. the new one?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
You can leave the same tracking code on the website.. and update the website domain name in the Property Settings page and all View Setting pages.
You can then also add an annotation to the Audience Overview report with the date that the domain names changed for the website. 
In this way you can keep all data within the same reports and compare back against earlier periods

Info on annotations here:
https://www.e-nor.com/blog/google-analytics/back-to-basics-google-analytics-annotations-simple-usefu...

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Combining two websites in GA

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually, the website was 301'd. Would this be the way still?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually, the website was 301'd. Would this be the way still?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yes, you can put the original tracking code on the new site.. so as to continue tracking in the same reports.. and update the website url details for property and views.. and add an annotation re the date of site change.

Alternatively you could add different tracking code for a new property however then you will not be able to compare back to historical data from within the same reports, you would likely have to export and make comparisons via a spreadsheet etc instead

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
What about putting up 2 sets of tracking code with 2 separate properties?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
What about putting up 2 sets of tracking code with 2 separate properties?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

You could do that too if you want to.. again though, remember to change the details for the website url in the property and view settings to reflect the new site details and add an annotation with the date of change in the one for the original tracking code that was used on the old site.

Information here on how to setup tracking for multiple trackers:
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#working_w...