Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Combining Page Titles

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All!

I had a question about Page Titles. In the Pages report, when I click on Page Title, I see different variations of the same page title. This is because we are posting the page to our website but also to Facebook Instant Articles.

Here's an example:

Why you needed to pay attention to what Jon Snow was wearing in the last episode of “Game of Thrones”

and

Why you needed to pay attention to what Jon Snow was wearing in the last episode of "Game of Thrones"

I need to pull reporting that combines the metrics (pageviews, etc.) from these two page titles that are essentially the same article.

Is there a way I can do this? 

Thank you so much!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Combining Page Titles

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hey Jennifer, for traffic that's already in your account, go to the pages report, hit "advanced" at the top right of the table, near the filter option. If you don't have any other pages that start with the same words, you can use this filter:
Enter "Include" "Pages" "Containing" Why you needed to pay attention to what Jon Snow was wearing in the last episode of
otherwise, use this filter:
Enter "Include" "Pages" "Matching RegExp" Why you needed to pay attention to what Jon Snow was wearing in the last episode of .*Game of Thrones.*

For future reference, go to Admin>View settings > Filters > + Add Filter
Custom Filter > Search and Replace > Filter Field: page title > Search String: Why you needed to pay attention to what Jon Snow was wearing in the last episode of “Game of Thrones” > Replace String: Why you needed to pay attention to what Jon Snow was wearing in the last episode of "Game of Thrones"

This way the modified page title will automatically get replaced with the original for future pageviews.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arjun!

Thanks for this information. What if we have other links that need to be
combined? We may have many of these circumstances in the future - is there
a way to mass combine these links?

Thank you!
Jen

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Jennifer,

If you use the same search and replace filter we discussed above, with these changes - Search String: &#8220; Replace String: "
it'll make the required change to all titles in future.

Be careful when creating these filters though because if incorrect it may affect data you don't want to change in future. Running a search for &#8220 in the page title report and going through the output will tell you whether you want to replace each one as " or not.

Cheers,
Arjun