Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Client ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I had a question regarding the Client ID for Google Analytics.  Is the Client ID unique to the computer and browser being used, or if an individual logs in to a website, using a unique email and password, will the same Client ID automatically be generated?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Client ID

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

The Client ID is stored in a cookie in the browser so it is unique to the browser. It is used to determine that two distinct hits belong to the same user. There is a feature which is used to identify logged in users, the User ID. It is used to track users across different devices. Please check the document below about user identification in GA:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookies-user-id

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Client ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the advice.  Sorry if the following question is dumb, but since the client id is stored in a cookie in the browser, would that mean that if a website or webpage was accessed by different people, on the same computer and browser, that Google Analytics would read that as the same "Client" visiting the page multiple times?

Thanks for the speedy response!

Client ID

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes, that's right, the Client is actually the browser, so different people using the same browser will be counted as the same user as long as the cookie is not deleted or expired.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital