Analytics
3.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Clicks but no sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

We have an issue with one of our accounts. When I open the report to view metrics on a keyword-level view, there are some keywords that indicate clicks but show a zero value for other metrics like Bounce Rate, Pages/Sessions, as shown in the screenshot below. 

Can someone please explain why this is happening?

Many Thanks!

Cattura.PNG

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rachel T
February 2016

Re: Clicks but no sessions

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rachel,

that could happen if the keywords are not part of the AdWords campaign for that domain. Do you have AdWords campaigns for different domains? You could ad a secondary dimension "destinaltion url" or "campaign" and check whether alle the keywords in your screenshot are referring to the chosen domain. Google Analytics displays all keywords that are in this periode part of a campaign, nonetheless to which campaign or domain the keywords referr to.

Bye. Nils.

Re: Clicks but no sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, Rachel,

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and, although I see that you've solved your issue, we found a different solution, so I'm going to forward it to the community, maybe it can help.

The same problem occurred out of nowhere - there was a significant amount of clicks, but no sessions and bounce rate was 0%, auto-tagging was enabled, we checked everything with the Tag assistant, accounts were linked.

It turned out that we set the wrong final URL in our ads. We made some changes on the website, named the page www.example.com/pricing, but left the URL in all of our ads www.example.com/prices. Also, instead of https:// we used http://. It was as simple as that. UTM parameters (that connect AdWords clicks with sessions) were erased in that process.

Auto-tagging inserts a gclid into destination URLs and if the gclid is stripped, Google Analytics still records the visit and the subsequent user activity, but it doesn’t have the information necessary to properly attribute the visit to your Google ad. So, test your gclid (?gclid=test) and good luck!

Clicks but no sessions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much Masa! I stumbled upon your solution and that was also our problem. In our case, the parameters got erased because we didn't include a trailing slash in our URLs for our English website at www.example.com/en (should be www.example.com/en/ ).

Clicks but no sessions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This is an old topic but shows up high in search so I'll add to it from my experience: a small URL change such as including "www." also affects this. Whatever URL you have set up as your main URL for the website, that should be the one being used consistently across your ads.