Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Changing parent directory page title=Analytics thinks it/sub pages are all new?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, everyone! Recently, our product trademarks became registered. This means that we need to change the symbol in the page title (and URL) from ™ to ®.

I'm a little worried what this will do to our stats. This page title change is happening at a "top" level in our page infrastructure, so all the subpages/directories will also reflect this change. For example:

Product™/Subdirectory_1/Subdirectory_2/Individual_Article_1

Product™/Subdirectory_1/Subdirectory_2/Individual_Article_2

Product™/Subdirectory_2/Individual_Article_1

would be changed to

Product®/Subdirectory_1/Subdirectory_2/Individual_Article_1

Product®/Subdirectory_1/Subdirectory_2/Individual_Article_2

Product®/Subdirectory_2/Individual_Article_1

In this example, is there a way to make Analytics think these are the same three pages (which they are, other than the name/URL change) or am I just going to *have* to track them as six different pages?

That would definitely make some of our dashboards a bit trickier to use and hard for us to get an accurate historical picture of page usage. Are there any best practices I should understand? I'm realizing now that, on our site that we use Analytics with, I should have just not included the trademark symbols in the URL Smiley Sad Any suggestions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changing parent directory page title=Analytics thinks it/sub pages are all new?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Travis you maybe able to create a custom filter using either the Search and Replace Filter Type or the Advance Filter type. You would need to test this theroy on a view other than your actual data view to make sure either option would work for you I assume you have several views set up and that one is available for testing.