Analytics
3.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Changing YYYYMM Format

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Quick question for any that might know.  Is there anyway to change the data formatting on "Month of Year" to display as mm/dd/yyyy rather then yyyymm?  I know I can accomplish this if I export and do some excel magic, but would much rather save the step.  Thank you in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changing YYYYMM Format

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, John B, can you please clarify where you are trying to change this? Is this in the GA date range selector, in the upper right of your GA reports?
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Nicky!

This would be under Reports: Dimensions Drilldown > Month of Year. The standard format is YYYYMM. Was just curious if there was a way to edit that. Appreciate any help!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John B
May 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey John,

There is no way to change the date to a different Format than which it's stored. That said, you can use either a custom report or the API (or the Google Sheets Plug in or The NextAnalytics plugin for Excel, etc) to query each piece separately and use them for calculation or concatenate them together. It's SLIGHTLY less problematic than parsing the values out and then rearranging in Excel.

The Dimensions you'll want are:

Month of the year
Day of the month
Year
(and up to 4 others representing whatever else you are trying to pull)

Link to the sheets plugin:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics/fefimfimnhjjkomigakinmjileehfopp

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good to know! Thank you for the recommendation.