Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Changes to default channel grouping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a new traffic channel within the default channel grouping to track traffic from several content distribution sources to website's blog posts.

In the new channel's rules I have added the following:

Source → match regexp → ^(taboola|outbrain|facebook.com)$

and

Landing Page URL → match regexp → ^(\/blog\/|\/knowledgebase\/)

*notes:

1. blog posts have “blog” and “knowledgebase” in the URL structure.

2. I have placed the new channel above all other channels in the default grouping.

After 24 hours I've checked Channels report and it appeared that visits from Facebook are still attributed to “Social Channel”, while Outbrain sessions started to appear in “Other Channel” instead of “Referral”, as it was before new channel creation.

Could you please advise me how to fix the issue and create new channel within Default Channel Groping.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changes to default channel grouping

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Darya,

Thanks for posting on the Community. I’m going to look into this for you and update this thread when I have more information for you.

Krisha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Krisha,

Here is the link to my Default Channel Grouping settings, please review: https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=lEzji9FuTCa1-ZRLA5xS2A

Looking forward to your reply.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Darya,

I reached out to our support team and these are the suggestions they offered:

The first recommendation concerning the first part of the definition would be to make the definition a bit more flexible (remove the ^ and $).

Concerning the second part of the definition, again make the definition as simple as possible. For example: regular expression: (blog|knowledgebase)

What we always recommend clients do when setting up filters or channel groupings is to replicate the definitions in a segment in the reporting. What you could do is make the channel grouping in a segment in e.g. the Acquisition > Source/Medium report and make sure to use the EXACT same definition. Then you will be able to see if the definition would actually match data (that was collected in the past) and troubleshoot from there.

Hope this helps.

Krisha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Krisha,

It worked!