Analytics
7.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Change of domain name > drop in traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client who recently changed their domain name. They did all the right things (I believe) with 301 redirects etc. I updated their default domain name in GA as well as the 'Include Valid Hostnames' filter. I've also double-checked with Google help desk that there are no issues with tracking code or GA configuration.

Despite all this, the client is still seeling a significant drop in traffic (ie. around half) almost two months after the change over.

Can anyone suggest what might be happening?

The client's revenue is based on advertising, so it's causing everyone involved some sleepless nights!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Change of domain name > drop in traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @murray f,

I would start by using the free Google Chrome browser extension called Google Tag Assistant. This will allow you to see what is happening with the tracking codes (tags) for Analytics, AdWords, etc.. Once you know everything is firing, I would look at Google Search Console and Google Analytics to compare a past period of time to the current (since the change).

Keep in mind that if the website was structured differently, namely better, you could be having nearly the same amount of quality traffic, but that traffic is triggering less events through Analytics. Or the function of the website could be different so that actions are different. We just want to make sure a comparison is as close to a true comparison for it to have merit.

Another thing to check is that the tracking code is added at the top of the page, before the closing </head> tag. Sometimes a new web developer will add it to the bottom and therefore it will get triggered less often.  

Please run Google Tag Assistant and be sure to turn on recordings and roam about the website and see what is happening and then let us know.

Kind Regards,

James