Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Category parameter for site search?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to set up site search tracking for a website, but I am confused by the Category Parameter field and how the analytics documentation explains it ("enter the letters that designate an internal query category such as 'cat, qc'"). How should I be using the category parameter field?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Category parameter for site search?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sarah,

it basically depends on your website if there is just one plain site search, or if there are parameters that differentiate various types of site searches. Typically, it's the shop categories or website areas which hold their proper site searches on your site. Technically speaking, Analytics enables here a two-dimensional analysis of site search, that means two URL parameters.

You may also post your domain here, so that we can take a look at.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph.

We have several site searches on our site, and I am trying to set up analytics for one of them.

Here's the link to it: https://grants.nih.gov/searchGuide/search_guide.cfm

I would like to be able to track which of those filters users are making use of during their search.

Thanks for your help!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah Y
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Okay, if your site search looks like

search_guide_results.cfm?SearchTerms=test&TitleText=&Status=1&PrimaryICActive=Any&AppPackage=Any&RelDate_On_After=&ExpDate_On_After=&Activity_Code=&Activity_Code_Groups=&AddFOAs=1&OrderDirection=DESC

you include

SearchTerms

as query parameter. Then, you have the possibility to take any other URL parameter (like OrderDirection) from that string as the second ('category') parameter in Analytics. In the actual site-search reports you then see the category value 'DESC' (dont mind if it's a category in the strict sense or not) and everything that has been searched under 'DESC'.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I see what you mean now. Thanks for your help!

Category parameter for site search?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christoph, quick follow up. If entering more than one category parameter, how do you separate them in field inside GA? Commas between them, or regex?

ex: ExpDate_On_After,Activity_Code

or

ExpDate_On_After|Activity_Code

Or some completely different way?