Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Canonical tagged pages showing split data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have hundreds of pages on my company site that use canonical tags.

These tags are supposed to forward SEO value to a main page, without actually redirecting a user there.

In my analytics account it looks like these pages are all being monitored separately instead of grouping the page views and value.

The first image is of a page that is part of a CMS. The page/view/ pages should redirect information and value to the /news/ alias, but it holds the value separately.

The second image is a category page that is utilizing filters. The filters also use canonical tags to try to avoid duplicate content issues. Here again the view count is dispersed across these pages.

These problems make it much harder for me to track the page data accurately.

ga1.jpgga2.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Caleb K
May

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Caleb,

GA is simply giving you data in what the user experiences as it has no interest in your canonical tags.  You have a few options.

1.  Skip the canonical tags and do server side redirects so the content truly is in one place only.

2.  Use a filter to re-write the page URI so that GA has only one page

3.  Use GTM or a virtual page view to shape the URI prior to sending to GA

4.  Use common page titles and choose page title as primary dimension

More on Filters and page uri re-write:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034834?hl=en&ref_topic=1034830

(if you go the filter route (I wouldn't as I prefer to shape the hit prior to sending to GA) test in a test view before applying to your main views.)

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/pages#modifying_page_urls

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Theo!

I will utilize this information accordingly.