Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Cannot import data for older time frames

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there dear community,

I'd like to do the following: We've got an online magazine with about 1500 articles (used Google Analytics from beginning on 5 years ago). We'd now like to add the author and publication date to each article (=URL) in GA. CSV Import via custom dimensions already worked (via https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3191589?hl=en). However, the problem is that the values of the custom dimensions (so author and date) ONLY are shown for dates / page views AFTER the time of the import. But what I would like is to of course also see author and date for older time frames. I don't understand why this is not possible - as I imported static values which do not change for a page view...date and author are static values which the import matched based on page path. Why can I then only see those values for dates AFTER the import? I thought that is what CSV import is for (matching URLs with static values)...values which I would like to import to GA based on page views (e.g variable user data or so), I'd instead use the tag manager.

Any way to see time frames with the date and author values before the time of the import?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sebastian

1 Expert replyverified_user

Cannot import data for older time frames

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Sebastian,

There is a very easy (and very expensive) way to do this.  GA 360 has query time data import/join it is this exact functionality -- starting at the low low price of $12,500 per month.  Smiley Happy

That said, you can also do this in Excel or a tool like Tableau by joining on the URL.

Edit:  You can also use Google Sheets, the GA Google Sheets plugin to automate this.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn