Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Can't see event label click data in GA

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm now working at a non-profit foundation in Korea and recently my team decided to use GA by putting scripts in every button in our

web campaign page to track down the clicks of those buttons. The web campaign page has several buttons in it, but the problem is,

I don't see the data of one button.

The bottom line is this.

- The page has 12 buttons and each has own script so I can see the clicks of those buttons in GA. 

- When I click one of those buttons, a layer popup shows up and in that layer popup, there's one additional button

which is linked to our partner company's page(so total 13 buttons).

- I also attatched script to that button like onclick="ga('send', 'event', 'PC campaign', 'click', 'Button 1_Link to partner company page')", 

but when I go to Events - Overview - view full report(tried Event Category also) in GA, I can't see 'Button 1_Link to partner company page's 

report on the list. 

I doubled-checked if I didn't attach script to that button, but I could find I did and GA keeps showing me the notification, 

• This report has been filtered to include only data where there are values for "Event Label" dimension.
  • This report has been filtered to include only data where there are values for "Event Category" dimension.

Do these messages have anything to do with the problem I'm facing now?

Or is there any way to fix this and make that button's report show up on the list?

(*I tried to search why this happens and could find a website telling that it might be because of GA's event spam removing function.  

Actually the landing page of that button in the layer popup has a word, 'money' in its URL. I wonder if this could be a possible reason.)

Thanks for reading. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can't see event label click data in GA

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi!

Having "money" in the URL would not affect the data collection.

The first thing that has to happen is that the source for the overlay / layer popup has to have the GA coding (depends on how you've implemented this, iframe, etc.) so that the analytics object exists to catch the event. The next thing is that your visitors may be navigating away before the hit is sent to GA and processed so the event never has time to register. You would want to use a hitCallback or beacon method to give time for the event to happen.

More on hitCallback/Beacon here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1136920?hl=en#GA
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/sending-hits#hitcallback

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn