Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Can event tracking be sampled

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to which is the title but i'll explain why that is important to me. I have custom event tracking set up to track the number of logins made in a day...can sampling ever skew these figures from the actual number of times a login event actually happens? 

Kind regards,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can event tracking be sampled

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Camelot,

Sampling can affect any report. In most reports (there are exceptions) that means anytime you ask for a report condition that is not pre-aggregated (think secondary dimensions, custom reports and segmenting) and there are more than 500k sessions for free GA; then you can get sampled data. If you are experiencing this you should get the butter bar notification that your data is, in fact, sampled.

Depending on how you have the event set up, (on click, after validation, etc.) your totals could be a little different than the true number of log-ins -- with or without sampling.

Another type of sampling is where you actually sample the data that you send to GA (which most people do not do) so that you are complying with the GA TOS of 10 MM hits per month. This type of sampling ( if you were to use this) would. by definition, only send a sample and not all hits.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for that Theo,

Regarding the 500k hits, what timespan are we talking? If it is the timespan that I define in the reports filters? P.s. I'm using the GA add-in for Google sheets btw, does this change anything (i.e. does the add in apply any further processing before providing the results)?

To confirm i'm using on click event tracking

Kind regards,

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camelot M
February 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Camelot,

It's 500k sessions (there's a difference) for sampling and it's whatever time range you select that crosses that threshold. For some sites, 1 day is enough. The key is that it has to be a custom report or query with a 2nd dimension/segment applied and not something per-aggregated (in the UI) & > 500k sessions in your date range.

I find scheduling in the sheet plugin to be inconsistent so I usually use a formula for the date range where I have a field set to =TODAY() and then something like this =$B$17-8 that references the field where -8 is 8 days ago.. adjust based on your needs. Then I just go in and pull it. If I need any more automation I have our dev team (It's nice to have one of those Smiley Happy ) schedule via what I would call a "real" API pull. ( no different really just a scheduled job on our server using API access tokens, custom code, etc.) and then pull the data from a local table.

Google sheets plugin doesn't change anything except that based on what you're pulling your query could always be considered something that is not per-aggregated.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

P.S.

One last thing about your event count, if you are counting anytime someone clicks and not considering whether or not they are actually logged in, then you could get an inflated count (over, let's say some count you have in a separate system). You may want to use unique events (which is driven by the event "action") but then still someone could log out and back in and you would still see 1 for that session.

-Theo
P.P.S.  Yikes.. sorry but you can also drop in the Sampling Level indicator into your Google sheet to let you know if you are indeed getting sampled data.

Connect on LinkedIn