Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Can a company see what is searched for in Google?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have some questions about lead generation.

For example, I am on Google and I search for "John Doe" and a link to "Company A" pops up as one of the search options - I click on it.

1) Is "Company A" able to see what I searched for in Google to get to their page?

2) Or are they just able to see that a visitor got to their page from Google?
3) If "Company A" has a pop-up "chat" function, how does it notice that someone is visiting their site?
4) Can the chat function see information about the visitor i.e. name in Google Accounts? Location?

Really hope someone can help me with this - Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Can a company see what is searched for in Google?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jovana :-)

In relation to Google Analytics -

1) Is "Company A" able to see what I searched for in Google to get to their page?

Most organic keyword information these days is not passed to google analytics. Its replaced with the term (not provided).

2) Or are they just able to see that a visitor got to their page from Google?

Usually they can only see someone as having arrived from Google Organic.

3) If "Company A" has a pop-up "chat" function, how does it notice that someone is visiting their site?
Not really within the scope of the GA Community however it would be via the use of Javascript or other another programming language

4) Can the chat function see information about the visitor i.e. name in Google Accounts? Location?
Again not really within the scope of this community. Not sure about Google or G+, However from this post here on SO..with facebook as the example.. some data may be available

http://stackoverflow.com/a/12707889

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here