Analytics
7.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Can a URL with email tracking code posted to Facebook mess up referral sources?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This week, we've seen a big spike in traffic to one page on our site, which we promoted in an email last week.  Our email client appends tracking code which Google Analytics recognizes and reports as traffic from our specific email campaigns.

I believe someone copied the long, tracked URL from our email and copied it into a Facebook post which had a lot of shares.  Google Analytics is showing the source of all of this traffic as email, even though we sent our email early last week and I have evidence to support a fair amount of Facebook activity.  Additionally, WordPress' native stats shows this surge in traffic as coming from Facebook.

Is there any way to tell, in Google Analytics, if the traffic is from Facebook even when a trackable URL coded to our email campaign was used in the Facebook post?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can a URL with email tracking code posted to Facebook mess up referral sources?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
You can add a secondary dimension to your All Campaigns report of "Refferal Path" which will give you the URLs that reffered traffic to your various campaigns.

Re: Can a URL with email tracking code posted to Facebook mess up referral sources?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Brian. I've added that dimension but all I'm seeing is "(not set)" for all of the referral paths. Any other suggestions?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Robin so sorry try "Full Referral" when I set this on my account I see Facebook show up.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Brian. When I expand the timeframe to the full month of April, I do see Facebook showing up with the Full Referrer dimension applied to the campaign report. However, when I hone in on just the last two days, the source of the big spike in traffic is not being attributed to Facebook -- the Full Referrer is showing up as email (hs_email).

Really appreciate your help and speedy replies.