Analytics
6.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Can I segment (not filter) by IP address?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Prior to this week, we didn't have filters, multiple views or anything set-up in our analytics. We're starting to use our analytics and so I set them up this week. Since filters don't apply to historical data, I'm trying to use segments in our unfiltered view so that I can (hopefully) make sense of the historical data.

I've successfully excluded ghost/spam analytics from the historical data using segments. Now I'm trying to segment out our company IP address so that employee visits aren't skewing the data. We have very little traffic, so every little bit counts. Except, I can't figure out what parameters I need to add to the segment to do this.

Couple notes:

- I have views set-up for "Unfiltered", "internal traffic only", and "Data minus ghost spam, bots & internal IP"

- I have successfully filtered out our IP address in "Data minus ghost spam, bots & internal IP" so it won't show in that view going forward

- "Unfiltered" is the only view with historical data prior to this week.

I appreciate any help that anyone could offer. Please let me know if I need to give more information. 

Thank you Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kayde J
January 2016

Re: Can I segment (not filter) by IP address?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

We can't add a segment for IP addresses.
We can try segmenting (Advanced >> Conditions) it with the service provider (The names of the Internet service providers (ISPs) used by visitors to your site.).

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi GA Guru,

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi GA Guru, we need identified the IP address of our customers or their ISPs, but we don't know where is the Advance>> Conditions option.. Could you say us how we can do that, please? Thank you,

APS

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I believe the location GA Guru is referring to is in the +Add Segments menu which can be reached toward the top of any report. Once in +Add Segment, the report you happened to be on will be replaced with the segment creation window/screen. On the left side of that window/screen will be a vertical list of tabs named "Demographics," "Technology," etc. Halfway down that list will be a category label "Advanced" and the first tab under that category will be "Conditions".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I tried to solve this problem differently. I identified my client ID, then realised that I was that only one who had more than 10 sessions (in fact way more). I created a segment based on this. 

Now, how do I "hide" this segment from a filtered view?