Analytics
4.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Can I see what County users are coming from on a Analytics Report?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can I see what County users are coming from on a Analytics Report?   

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I see what County users are coming from on a Analytics Report?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Wayne :-)

If you click on the Audience tab to expand the options in the Report Navigation pane on the left ,
Then click on Geo > Location, you will be able to see what countries your visitors are from
You also have the option of changing the primary dimension to city etc too

Thanks
Bronwyn
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So far, no one has answered my question. They think that County is Country.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I'm sorry Wayne, I thought it was possibly a typo and that you were asking about Country reports

With Primary dimensions you can see Continent, Sub Continent, Country or City.
Via Secondary Dimensions you can see Regions (which in the US is states) and to the best of my knowledge in US only - Metros which are Designated Marketing Areas.

What you could possibly do is create a segment for a particular county/area if you know what the cities are to include in it
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay, so Google Analytics doesn't have the option for a County. I happen to do some work on a website for a County government department and apparently the City designation and others are not accurate. If, for instance, a highly used ISP named XXX is located in a small city but users use the same ISP located in other nearby towns or cities, it appears that the users in other nearby towns or cities are included in the count for the highly used ISP named XXX. Is this correct?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
I would go with Region. Some counties are just one city, like NYC is also New York county. You just have to rule of thumb it.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Google Analytics determines locations from a visitor’s IP addresses and where internet service providers assign those ranges.

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/03/19/locations-report-google-analytics/

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
That sounds pretty correct Wayne.
Its based on IP, the 3rd party data centers google uses to report the location info back to google and also where the visitors ISP routes the visitors connection through.
I' m in NY and usually show as being in NY, however sometimes I do also get tracked/reported as being in NJ, CT or PA

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Wayne,

You can actually do this but it's not natively available in GA. Through data import you can take an ISO city list and append your own data to it, such as sales territory or in this case, county. It will tie up a custom dimension and while being a little complicated; somehow, at the same time, is pretty straight forward.

More information here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6160509?hl=en

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the various one's assistance. Concerning the last response and making an ISO city list and so on, I don't know how to do that. Could you or someone explain or include a link for instructions?

Thanks