Analytics
4.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Can I generate a report with the monthly content volume ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a news website, with quite a bit of content. (3000+ articles) The site is build in wordpress.

I was wondering if I can generate a report with google analytics, that will show the monthly article volume.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex S
December 2015

Re: Can I generate a report with the monthly content volume ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Alex,

Google Analytics as most of the Web-tracking softwares are based on events where a user does something somewhere. Here you want to measure a thing where your CMS, Wordpress, generates events to analytics.

Google Analytics works so that if you generate an event a session and a user will be generated as well. So if you make events to Google Analytics from Wordpress i would recommend at least not to use your production GA-property. You have basically at least two option for making this:

1) Using the production GA-property on the site: add a custom dimension where you send the publish date of the article that is read by the user (ie. 20151201). Then you can query from GA how many different rows you get for article-pages that has a custom dimension of ".*201512.*". This is a method that is not very accurate as it needs the article page to be read at least once by the user.

2) You can generate a new property where Wordpress would send the publish-events. That way you wont mess up your production GA-property. After that when an article is published Worpress would send an event (custom event, pageview or custom metric however you want) to GA.

Hope this clears things a bit.

Kimmo

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alex
What do you mean by monthly article volume? That's a bit too vague. Do you mean number of articles published? Number of article views?

I'm going to guess at number of article views for now.

You can do this a few ways.

1) You can set up content grouping. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853423?hl=en
2) You can use an advanced search to see the page level metrics in the all pages or content drilldown.

content2.jpg

Hope that helps!

Dave 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry for not being clear enough.

Actually, I was referring to the number of published articles, each month.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex S
December 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Alex,

Google Analytics as most of the Web-tracking softwares are based on events where a user does something somewhere. Here you want to measure a thing where your CMS, Wordpress, generates events to analytics.

Google Analytics works so that if you generate an event a session and a user will be generated as well. So if you make events to Google Analytics from Wordpress i would recommend at least not to use your production GA-property. You have basically at least two option for making this:

1) Using the production GA-property on the site: add a custom dimension where you send the publish date of the article that is read by the user (ie. 20151201). Then you can query from GA how many different rows you get for article-pages that has a custom dimension of ".*201512.*". This is a method that is not very accurate as it needs the article page to be read at least once by the user.

2) You can generate a new property where Wordpress would send the publish-events. That way you wont mess up your production GA-property. After that when an article is published Worpress would send an event (custom event, pageview or custom metric however you want) to GA.

Hope this clears things a bit.

Kimmo

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your help.