Analytics
4.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Campaigns persist across sessions, correct?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just read a post from 2016 on what I believe to be a reputable PPC/Analytics blog describing discrepancies between PPC platform reporting and Analytics conversions in which it asserted that Analytics only counts conversions that take place within the same session in a click->conversion sequence.  This runs contrary to my understanding that campaigns track across sessions until the campaign expires, is overwritten by another campaign, or is removed when the browser's cookies are cleared.

By my understanding, for example, someone who clicks a link tagged for a campaign named Summer 2016, with a campaign time set in Google Analytics of 90 days, would continue to be tracked each time they return to the site as belonging to the Summer 2016 campaign, and all conversions tracked during that 90-day period (made from the same browser) would be attributed to that campaign.  The Summer 2016 campaign would remain in effect on that browser for that site for 90 days unless the user clicked a different campaign-tagged URL that enrolled them in a different campaign, or the browser's cache was cleared.

Is my existing understanding correct?

Thank you.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Trent L
September 2016

Re: Campaigns persist across sessions, correct?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Trent,

You're right. In order to make it clear, I added some details to your existing explanation. Maybe you already know it but maybe it helps to dissect things a bit to get a richer understanding.

"By my understanding, for example, someone who clicks a link tagged for a campaign named Summer 2016, with a campaign time set in Google Analytics of 90 days, would continue to be

tracked each time they return to the site directly or through the same campaign-tagged link, he/she belongs to the Summer 2016 campaign, and all conversions tracked during that 90-day period (made from the same browser) would be attributed to that campaign. The Summer 2016 campaign would remain in effect on that browser for that site for 90 days unless the user clicked a different campaign-tagged URL or came through another non-direct channel (Facebook, Google Organic, referral, etc) that enrolled them in a different campaign, or the browser's cache was cleared."

Here you can read more about the difference between goals, transactions, and AdWords conversions: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2679221?hl=en

It would be interesting to read the blog post that you mentioned. Could you share it with us?

Hope this helps.

Taavi