Analytics
1.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Campaign tracking far more sessions than linked Landing Page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are currently running a campaign which has its own unique landing page on our website. 

The URL we are using is very simple as we are only interested in tracking the source and the campaign, structured like http://website.com/landingpage?utm_source=TONY&utm_campaign=example

I am sorry for using example information rather than real world, but it doesn't seem necessary to use real examples in this case (other than the numbers below).

When I have checked the number of sessions for March for that landing page we have 208 Sessions from Source 'TONY'. However, when I check the 'example' campaign we have 508 Sessions with Source 'TONY', and drilling down into that I can see that 280 of the Sessions have a Landing Page of '/' instead of 'landingpage'.

Now 'TONY' is a service we provide to our customers hosted by a 3rd party, and it is very likely that the majority of customers who use it would access it via our home page rather than going to that site directly. These users would then click on the link, redirecting them back to our site to the '/landingpage'. However, my understanding was that Google Analytics does not track campaigns if they are clicked during an existing session? Or does it only allow one campaign per session?

I am sorry if this is confusing... I just need to make sure I am interpreting this data correctly. 

Thanks for any help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Campaign tracking far more sessions than linked Landing Page

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

This may help - if your users click on the link, which has UTM parameters present, then this will start a new session.

"One Campaign Per Session—Each visit to your site from a different campaign—organic or paid—triggers a new session, regardless of the actual time elapsed in the current session. Specifically, a change in value for any of the following campaign URL parameters triggers a new session: utm_source, utm_medium, utm_term, utm_content, utm_id, utm_campaign, gclid." https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6205762?hl=en

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.