Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Campaign not showing in Analytics reports

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We've been using campaigns for a few months, but I noticed recently that on the last campaign we ran that it wasn't showing in Campaign > All Campaigns

I knew there should have been something because we've ran emails and I can see these have brought traffic to the site.

I look into the reports and noticed in Acquisition > Other the campaign Source is showing here. However when I click to view Campaign as a secondary dimension it shows (not set)

All the Campaign urls are built using google url builder, and fit with what we've done in the past, so I don't understand why there is an issue...

Here's a copy of the one of the URLs below

/?utm_source=email%20-%20promotion%202%20(technical)&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Customer%20Engagement_Event_26042016

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaign not showing in Analytics reports

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
When you see the Source listed, does it show the entire source, complete with the closing parenthesis? If not, check to see if the Medium was properly set to 'email'. I find it odd that your URL word wrapped in the middle of a word - did you have a space or other character in your URL? That could cause the remainder of the URL to get ignored, leaving the source with no medium or campaign values.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Is the problem that we've used parenthesis in the in the source?

There's nothing wrong in terms of how we've entered the data into the google url builder (no stray spaces, etc.) but in the reports after technical there is no closing parenthesis

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
In your copy/paste, the 'l' is also on the next line. Is the 'l' in the report, or is it just technica?

Maybe the actual link you used contains a line feed or something?
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi

In google URL builder we had:
source: email - promotion 2 (technical)
medium: email
campaign: Customer Engagement_Event_26042016

This was just copied/pasted in, and then the URL was automatically generated

In the report, we can see source: email - promotion 2 (technical

There's no closing parenthesis

medium and campaign are missing

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
It appears that something in the process you used may have changed or truncated the URL as it went into the destination. Maybe it was wordwrapping or something in the HTML editing tool. The remainder of your URL seems to be ignored, causing your reporting problems. There should be no length limit, and there should be no problem with the parenthesis -- to GA at least. Your web editing tool however, may have been affected.