Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce rate is less than 0.5% ?!?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know my bounce rate is not less than a half of one percent. I noticed the strange numbers a while ago. As I'm not the developer for this website, I only have access to certain things & must rely on other support for troubleshooting. But as far as I can tell, the UA tracking code is accurately implemented (I hace checked the source code)... Are there any other items I may be overlooking from the GA Admin settings?? 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bounce rate is less than 0.5% ?!?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Helen,

Out of curiosity, do you by chance have event tracking set up throughout your site? I ask because if you happen to have events that are firing on most pages, and they are not set to 'non-interaction' this may cause what you're seeing in your bounce rates. There are likely many more possibilities as well, this one just popped into my mind.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033068?hl=en

Just a thought.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Bounce rate means they look at one page and leave, whereas exit % and Pages / Session could be used to compare the performance of your content. I would ask to Exit % for your pages.

If the number of Pages / Session is high, you could have a low bounce rate, but I agree that it seems suspect.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

My bounce rate was significantly low this past month and I'm not sure why.
We do have event tracking on several of our sites, and have had it for quite some time - although the bounce rate is only affected by one of those sites, not all of them. So my initial thought was, that couldn't be it...right?

If we had a Google Tag Manager installed along side our Analytic code, could that be a factor? If we remove the tag, do you know how long it takes before we see any changes?

Any information you're able to provide is appreciated.
Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Helen,

I would double check the code on the website, probably the code is right but it is installed twice; this is the most common reason for such low bounce rate. Sometimes it gets inserted manually and later with a plugin or GTM.

You can use this chrome extension to quickly check your tracking code, it will also help you identify other problems.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't use events and I will look at that. The most strange thing is that you can see the bounce rate plummet on August 1, 2015... I didn't change anything at that point in time. Anyone know of an incident in that time frame that could trigger this?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Helen can you post your websites URL some times looking at the source code helps in these types of issues

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

www.andersonsubaru.com

There are 4 different UA- codes placed throughout the site. Google says remove them but my web provider says all their clients have those and I'm the only one with the issue.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Helen, is ok to have multiple properties but the property ending with 286-4 is inserted twice, is that the one with the 0.5% bounce rate?, as I mentioned before this is one of the most common reasons of very low bounce rate.

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Are you referring to line 3056 on index.htm?