Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce rate and sessions duration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a bit confused here: I was setting up a custom segment with the condition of session duration above 200s (screenshot 1). You can see that I chose "per session", not "per user".

Screenshot_1.png

Since bounced sessions will have session duration of 0 seconds, I was expecting that this custom segment would have the bounce rate of 0%. But when I looked at a report, the bounce rate was 15% (screenshot 2). What happen? When did I get it wrong? Someone please explain!

Screenshot_2.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike T
June

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Mike T,

This is a little tricky situation. The logical explanations is that your dimension is applied on user level. In this case, you are segmenting the users who had a session more than 200(also these users' sessions that are less than 200 as well).

If you use Advanced condition and add session duration > 200 in your segment, you will see that bounced sessions are not included in your report.

I hope this helps.

Regards

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

That would mean that you have sessions starting on the home page that last over 200 and yet are not bounces. 

Do you have non-interactive events configured?

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, I don't have any non-interactive event, all of my events are interactive, so if a session has any event, it cannot be a bounce.

(also I think you have made a typo in "last over 200 and yet are not bounces", shouldn't it be "and yet are bounces"?)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

That's the thing, 200seconds is merely 3 minutes when your sessions expires after 30 minutes (2000 seconds) of inactivity.

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not quite following you. Could you please explain more?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Look at the article on the bounce rate here:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Understanding-the-bounce-rate/ba-p/859398

The logical reason you still have a bounce rate and yet have a matching session duration is that something happened during the 3 minutes following the landing page. That something can be any type of GA call (pageview, event, transaction or social)

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike T
June

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Mike T,

This is a little tricky situation. The logical explanations is that your dimension is applied on user level. In this case, you are segmenting the users who had a session more than 200(also these users' sessions that are less than 200 as well).

If you use Advanced condition and add session duration > 200 in your segment, you will see that bounced sessions are not included in your report.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Gny you're right. When I create the segment with Advanced Condition, it does not include bounces. So that means the segments created with Behavior have the scope "User" by default, isn't it?

Re: Bounce rate and sessions duration

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

In that case, force the segment by using Conditions and not the built-in Behavior setting:

Screenshot 2017-06-13 09.34.14.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Julien Coquet Yes, thank you for your help!