Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce Rates question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you answer this puzzling question about bounce rates?

I am trying to figure out how to lower a site's bounce rates. Looking through reports, I am confused when I see this: http://screencast.com/t/9V8L6fyS

22 pageviews, avg. time on site 3:26, entrances 5, % exit 54%, but the bounce rate is 100%.

how can the bounce rate be 100% if time on site is over 3 minutes and only half exit?

It doesn't make sense to me.  What do you think?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bounce Rates question

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,

A bounce occurs when a visitor looks at the page and then leaves the site, ie. doesn't go through to another internal page.

This would happen all the time if you had a 1 page website.

Another cause may be that you have very few call to actions drawing users to other pages, or your page gives them all the info they need so they don't need to go to another page.

It's hard to say without seeing the page in question.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi David,

are there any additional hits sent on that particular page /author/ e.g. event?

Bounce in tech terms means no additional interaction (interactive hit) was sent to GA after the initial one inside a session.

Another thing to consider when checking on Avg. Time on Page is the following formula used in GA - Avg Time on Page = Time on Page / ( Pageviews - Exits) so when you have some additional hits sent to GA inside one page it can seriously skew the metrics.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply, but I'm confused and don't understand. Can you please clarify?

- David