Analytics
5.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce Rate suddenly changed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there,

A while ago, I updated the theme for my site and my bounce rate went from 60-70% to 1-5%. On Friday, I updated my them again and I'm suddenly tracking at 70-80% since then (!) Can you think of something that would explain this? I don't think the actual user behaviour has changed dramatically so it must be the reporting...

http://citysavvyluxembourg.com/

http://imgur.com/xTQlI1m

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bounce Rate suddenly changed

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Farrah I would say you fixed the issue with your bounce rate a 1-5% bounce rate is highly suspect as something was not right. While 70-80% seems high it is much closer to the norm than 1-5%. I clicked around on your site and you seem to have the code properly deployed and it was on every page that I looked at. Your second site is using google tags and I am not utilizing that so I can not tell if multiple deployments on the same page is the norm but I suspect that it is.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I find the whole thing a little dodgy; that
it's changed twice and by so much - our bounce rate was more like 60% for a
year??

You mentioned 2 sites... which 2 sites would they be? Smiley Happy I am just thinking
of http://citysavvyluxembourg.com/

Thank you!

--
Kind Regards,

Farrah G

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
This was the second site http://imgur.com/xTQlI1m

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh, that was just a screenshot of the analytics for CitySavvyLuxembourg to
show you the ups and downs of the bounce rate. Am still a bit confused as
to why there's been such a shift. Any ideas??

--
Kind Regards,

Farrah G

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Farrah a good place to start is Behavior-->Behavior Flow and see what your drop off is after the starting page. This will give you visual of how visitors are moving around your website. Under that same section go to Site Content-->Landing Pages and see which pages have the highest bounce rate look at those pages and see if you have links to external sites if so configure them to open in an external window this will keep the user on your site. If no external links see if you can determine what on those high bounce rate pages might keep a user from looking at additional pages, it could be as simple as they found what they were looking for. You can then use in page analytics if it works for you to see what the user is clicking on. On my sites I try I tracked down that a user was 4 times more likely to bounce if the landing page took more than 5 seconds to load so I worked on making those pages faster.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did some 'behaviour flow' and it looks like my pages aren't all tagged??
See the screen shot: http://imgur.com/4e3oWKr

Am lost as to how to link analytics to the site Smiley Sad

--
Kind Regards,

Farrah G

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Farrah how did you add the GA code to your other pages? Did a developer do it for you? My team use an include command in the header since the header is a common element across all pages. Not sure how others do it but we create a template that is nothing more than a bunch of includes and all our pages are modular so we can very easily change the layout, css, or elements on the page by changing one file and/or one line of code.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm actually using a theme 'Newspaper' from themeforest and I plug in the analytics code through the front end. So I've never added the GA code to the pages manually - it's all done through the theme, which explains why when I update it, the tracking goes through the wall. I thought Id fixed it and then just did an update. BAM, the bounce rate has trebled. Aaargh!!
Could you give me step-by-step instructions as to how to add the GA code to my header?? I guess I can go in via file manager on hostgator?

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
If your familar with HTML just bring your page up in edit mode and add your GA code to your header area, if not familar with HTML then your best to find someone in your organization who is. If your site is dynamic and uses a language such as C+, C#, PHP, .ASP, or Cold Fusion create an include file and then as part of your theme add the include statement to bring in the GA code if it becomes a standard part of your themes template then everytime you update the code will be there. On your home page your GA code can be found at line 934 - 943 ending with &lt;/script&gt;