Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce Rate high in checkout

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have been reviewing the Bounce Rate for our site. Here is a sample page: http://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/1376042/2535f4dc3c11aa295700f57fd8333088

My understanding of the Bounce Rate is that it signals a page where a user has entered and exited (without visiting any further pages).

The above screenshot is an example of a checkout related page, with a bounce rate of nearly 50%, however the entrances and exits for this page are much lower than this. I would not expect customers to be entering our site on this page (reflected by 'Entrances'), so how can the bounce rate be so high?

This would be the 1st page where users encounter HTTPS, could this be related? I also noticed that the URL is listed with the domain in the middle, and wasn't sure if this was usual?

Thanks,
Andy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andy S
July 2016

Re: Bounce Rate high in checkout

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Look at your screenshot:
your cart page got 1450 page views, 840 unique views (sessions) and 57 entrances.
In other words, your cart page was used to enter your site in 7% of sessions.
If your bounce rate for your cart page is 49% then out of the 57 entrances, only 28 sessions bounced. Which is "normal" because you don't link to checkout pages such as a cart.
In your case there is a very high probability that some sessions timed out after 30 minutes of inactivity and as visitors "woke up" and resumed their visit, they were really starting a new session, with the cart page as a "landing page".
Hoping this clarifies things.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
This describes 25 sessions starting inside the checkout funnel.
Not unheard of, especially when links are made straight to the cart page.
Again, keep in mind that bounce rate only applies to landing pages.
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry, please could you clarify what you mean by "Again, keep in mind that bounce rate only applies to landing pages."?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andy S
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Look at your screenshot:
your cart page got 1450 page views, 840 unique views (sessions) and 57 entrances.
In other words, your cart page was used to enter your site in 7% of sessions.
If your bounce rate for your cart page is 49% then out of the 57 entrances, only 28 sessions bounced. Which is "normal" because you don't link to checkout pages such as a cart.
In your case there is a very high probability that some sessions timed out after 30 minutes of inactivity and as visitors "woke up" and resumed their visit, they were really starting a new session, with the cart page as a "landing page".
Hoping this clarifies things.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I didn't realise that the bounce rate was calculated in that way - that makes perfect sense.

Thanks very much.