Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Bounce Rate changed from 0.00% to 75%

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Folks,

I am seeing this strange problem with the bounce rate of few pages. I submitted my report to the client about the bounce rate for a previous year's month which was 0.00%. But now when I see the report again it is showing me bounce rate as 75%. Here is the scenario:

In April'17 when I extracted data: 

For Page X, and time range October'16 the bounce rate is 0.00%.

In June'17 when I extract the data:

For Page X, and time range October'16 the bounce rate is 75.00%.

The other numbers such as pageviews(366 to 356), time on page, entrances, unique pageviews, exit% are pretty much the same but the number of entrances have changed from 14 to 40. Can change in entrances lead to such a huge change in bounce rate. And why would even the entrances change in the first place when we are considering historical data?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Archit S
June 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

The sampling slider is reset when you exit the browser and only affects your view, not those of any other users. You cannot change the default sampling setting. However, you can adjust the setting when querying the API so that you always get the precision setting there - the google sheets google analytics add-on will allow this. 

Sampling is a pain, but - with session level metrics such as page views you can always extract your data in smaller chunks (i.e only a few days worth at a time) to remove sampling all together (and then combine the metrics again). The google sheets analytics add-on is pretty useful for this. More here: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/06/24/solutions-google-analytics-sampling-problems-8-ways-data/

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Is this for a specific page, or group of pages? I would suggest that you maybe are seeing the effect of sampling - which will effect historical data. Check to see if sampling is present when you run the report. The low number of page views will amplify the impact of this.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks John!

Sampling is the reason. With Faster response sampling setting, I am seeing the same numbers when I extracted the data in April. But now I was seeing the Greater precision setting. Both show very different numbers.

And yes you are right, lower the number of pagviews more is the impact. 

Just wanted to ask, is there an Account/Property/View level setting for this sampling setting. That for all reports by default it will show the same sampling setting? Because as far as I know, I have never played with this configuration. I am guessing if someone else would have made changes.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Archit S
June 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

The sampling slider is reset when you exit the browser and only affects your view, not those of any other users. You cannot change the default sampling setting. However, you can adjust the setting when querying the API so that you always get the precision setting there - the google sheets google analytics add-on will allow this. 

Sampling is a pain, but - with session level metrics such as page views you can always extract your data in smaller chunks (i.e only a few days worth at a time) to remove sampling all together (and then combine the metrics again). The google sheets analytics add-on is pretty useful for this. More here: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/06/24/solutions-google-analytics-sampling-problems-8-ways-data/