Analytics
3.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Big Difference Between Organic Sessions (GA) and Clicks (SearchConsole)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a problem that I can't seem to fix.

I was directed here from another forum by Suzanneh you can check this thread first, it's really short.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/webmasters/oGX-BDqTL7Q;context-place=forum/webmasters

The idea is that I'm getting around 20 000 sessions in Google Analytics on the Google Organic traffic, but in the Webmaster Tools Search Console ( or the SEO display in GA ) I only get around 1600 clicks. I know these are different metrics, but it seems that everything is correctly set up in both accounts, so I don't really get the difference, and even so, it should be the other way, as a visitor may bring in multiple clicks in one single session. The difference is simply too big, it's either that the Search Console is not getting it right, or the Google Analytics buffs up the organic results.

The truth is we don't have the GA tracking code right in the head section of the website, but it's just under it, first thing in the body. It used to be lower but after this thread

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/High-difference-between-ses...

I finally convinced the programmer to move it up, but still not in the header as he mentioned this taking a little too much time. It should not really make such a big difference since the tracking code is one of the first things to load on the website now.

Still, the difference is just too big.

Help ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Big Difference Between Organic Sessions (GA) and Clicks (SearchConsole)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Are you able to provide a link to the website? It often helps with troubleshooting.
Also are you able to take a screenshot in analytics of the report that you are viewing?
If possible, please try to include the report data range at the upper right of the analytics interface

Thanks
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The link will be in the screenshots ok ? Top right corner.

First we have Acquisition -> Source/Medium -> google organic : https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1697/25179108953_4074901be2_h.jpg

Then we have Search Console (SEO) -> Queries : https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1607/25175242844_d674b8b416_h.jpg

I have to protect the client's info as much as I can if you need me to unblur anything just tell me. That's also the reason I'm trying not to post the link here, and only in the screenshots.

Thanks a lot for your reply Bronwyn V !

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks Adrian :-)

Couple of quick q's.. does the View have any filters applied to it?
If so.. what types of filters?

Does it have a hostname filter?
If it doesn't and you go to the Audience > Technology > Network report and change the Primary Dimension from Service Provider to Hostname.. apart from the correct .ro domain, do any 'dodgy' or unfamiliar hostnames appear in the report?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you again for your answers !

There are no filters other than two IPs from which we mostly manage the websites.

This is a screenshot of the Technology Network Hostname.

There are two of them, one is m.site.com and the other is www.site.com

The other are related websites of ours but don't really matter much, only a couple of clicks.

Here's the screenshot : http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1717/25819835645_9f74c6cd1a_c.jpg

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ok so, there are a few things here..
You need to create a new View and apply the following filter:

• Filter Type: Custom filter > Advanced
  • Field A: Hostname Extract A: (.*)
  • Field B: Request URI Extract: (.*)
  • Output To: Request URI Constructor: $A1$B1

Click Save to create the filter.

This will seperate out and allow you to see in this View, what domain a pageview occurs on.

This is necessary when tracking subdomains or cross domain tracking etc.

Atm the data you are seeing in Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium > Google/Organic, is any and all visitors that land on your site via organic traffic from Google, whether it be web search, image search etc.

You are also seeing the organic data for more than one domain; you are seeing it for both the m.site.com and www.site.com domains..and according to that screenshot for the selected date range.the m.site.com is responsible for over 50% of the sessions in your reporting.

Also a seperate issue - You are also seeing some data too for other websites as well.. which leads me to believe there are possibly errors in the tracking code on the other sites, they should not be tracking to this Property unless code with this ttracking id is on those other site pages even if only one or two pages.

The data in the SEO > Queries reports.. only shows the web traffic.it does not include image or video search result clicks etc.
It is also only importing data for www.site.com not  m.site.com
Also keep in mind.. if a site appears in search results more than once and both results are to the same page.. if the person click thru to your site via both results.. Search Console will only record one click..Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium > Google/Organic would track two pageviews. and one (or possibly more sessions) depending on if someone were to say timeout on clicking the first result before clicking the 2nd result

You should have a read of this page to see what is and is not classed as clicks by Search Console, also what can cause some discrepeancies and similar
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6155685?hl=en&ref_topic=4589099

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow thanks !

So ... is this huge difference explainable then ?

In my head, there should still be more clicks in the Search Console than sessions in GA, as in a 30 minutes session one may search and click Google multiple times. Let's go even further and say that 50% are new customers, so we only get 5000 new sessions, but still 1600 clicks sound too low, these numbers should be very similar.

If someone searches and clicks on me on Google, and then two days after does it again, doesn't this mean I will get 2 clicks and 2 sessions ? I doubt everyone on the site spends 2-3 hours so that the number on sessions multiplies so much. My average time on site is under 10 minutes.

What do I do then with the m.site.com in Search Console ? I would not need the Search Console at all if Google would still provide the keyword phrases people search for. Should I just get another webmaster account for m.site.com ?

I know that 50% of my traffic is mobile so let's half everything up, let's say that there are 1600 in Search Console clicks and 10000 GA organic sessions, isn't the difference still too big ?

I will implement the new view asap and come back with an answer.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I know that 50% of my traffic is mobile so let's half everything up, let's say that there are 1600 in Search Console clicks and 10000 GA organic sessions, isn't the difference still too big ?

Consider this scenario.. what if nearly all the traffic in Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium > Google/Organic report is organic traffic going to m.site.com?

You wont see that click data in SEO > Queries .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So should I create a new webmaster tools account separately for m.site.com then ? In order to track those queries as well ?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Yes you can.. however bare in mind, that you wont be able to link it to the current GA Property to see that data in the currrent GA reports