AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Best way to track click activity on internal links?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is for a news site. We have a few call-out boxes on the homepage with the Editor's Picks (basically the editor selects a few of his favorite articles of the day and places them there). I want to track activity on these boxes to see how many people are clicking on them, and to see what percentage of clicks to those stories are from the call-out boxes vs. other means like navigation. 

What is the best way to track these? I've looked into using URLs with UTM campaign parameters, but they seem like they are more for tracking external sources. Goals seem like they would be for conversions, like downloads and video plays. Flow reports are a bit messy and I don't think they will be able to tell me HOW the user gets from page A to page B.

Any help is appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best way to track click activity on internal links?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Matthew S,

Have you considered using standard event tracking to track these clicks? You could define your category, action, and/or label to help distinguish these in your events report.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn