Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Benchmark data suddenly very different and inconsistent

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been reviewing Benchmark data for 12+months, for a specific profile.  Recently, the benchmarking data indicates drastic differences. (For example September shows 51% difference between the profile and the benchmark; the October shows 512% difference between the profile and the benchmark).  Overall traffic does not account for this drastic variance.  I've verified the Industry Vertical, Country/Region and Size By Daily Sessions are consistent and correct from month-to-month.  I also noticed the number of web properties contributing to the benchmark dropped from 69 in September to 20 in October.  This just doesn't seem correct.  Has anyone else experienced similar issues?  Any ideas on resolution?

Thanks so much!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Benchmark data suddenly very different and inconsistent

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Jodi,

I haven't noticed it but it's entirely possible.  You opt-in to share anonymous, aggregated data with Google to get access to this feature.  If users either turn off this account level setting or correct their industry vertical, a more accurate vertical becomes enable, or get more traffic, etc. then the data would be placed in another bucket and no longer be available for you to compare against.

Glad that you are using it and keep an eye on it. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn