Analytics
2.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Behavior Flow multiulanguage site auto grouping issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've developed a wordpress multi-language website for a customer using da WPML plugin. The customer decided to use the "subfolder" strategy for the language management (www.example.com/en/, (www.example.com/it/ ecc.). 

Now the customer is using Google Analyrics for the definition of his goals strategy. So in Google Analytics -> Reporting -> Behavior -> Behavior Flow there is the Flow Report auto-grouping the pages by the lang url slag (see attachment). With this grouped nodes, he is unable to see the real flow of the users and he is complaining that the fault is of the website. He sustains that the web site is not developed right, literally: "The URLs of the website are not right and that is causing the auto-grouping meaningless nodes view".

I told the customer that Google Analytics is grouping the pages based on a complex algorithm that uses the most common url slag for the nodes grouping (in this case "/en/", "/de/" ecc..). The customer told me that this can not be true, because if it was true, than inside the other pages node, we must not see sub-pages of the independently created groups above.

Example: there is the auto-grouped node "/it/" (attachment arrow 2) in the 1° interaction column, but clicking on the "other pages" node (attachment arrow 1) , there are still some sub-pages of this group: "/it/contacts/" (attachment arrow 3).

How should I respond to this and is there any solution of the problem? Am I missing something or the customer is right and there is a problem with the website?

Thank you 

Capture.PNG

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Simeon, 

You can go into Analytics Admin Settings -> Content Grouping and manually create content groupings according to your sub-directories! 

Here's a great link on how to do this: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en

Let me know if this solves your problem! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Joshua,

yes, I know that feature, unfortunately I have more then 5 languages and there is a possibility to make only 5 "root groups". I also found another solution, I can create a dedicated View for every language, and make a filter that includes only pages of the corresponding language.

My question is, am I right saying this:

"There is nothing wrong with the website (and its urls) but Google Analytics is grouping the nodes automatically according to its algorithms. So this is the reason why we see the nodes like this."?

Thank you