Analytics
3.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Bad Event Tracking with Google Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

GA gives me the Analytics Notification of 'Bad Event Tracking Code'.

After some search I found the reason is that an event is tracked before the pageview.

But I wonder why this happens.

I've implemented tracking with Google Tag Manager.

The page view is tracked with GA Universial Analytics, Track type: pageview; the trigger is the default 'All Pages' trigger.

The event is tracked GA Universial Analytics, Track type: event; the trigger is a Click - just links trigger.

The affected event occurs in 30% of all sessions. But only in 5% of all sessions the event occurs without page views. How can I resolve the issue, so that all sessions with the event also have a pageview tracked?

I hope you can help.

Re: Bad Event Tracking with Google Tag Manager

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Michael,

Few questions to try to help you :
Where in the page are placed the GTM container ?
Have you reproduce the problem using the GTM debugger ?
Do you see a fake click fired by the application before the page view ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mehdi,
1) The GTM container is placed right after the 'body' opening tag.
2) I've tried to reproduce the problem with the debugger but I've always had the page view first and then the click event.
3) No I don't see fake clicked fired before the page view.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok...
Can you send an URL of the concerned page ?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

removed link

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I don't see any GA event after le page view. Have you disactivate the tag ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's a click event, you have to click Online B@nking.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
The implementation seems to be fine.
You have to check your Analytics data to know in which case you loose the page view. See the related page to the event launched without page view before, check also other dimensions as technical one (browser, OS, hostname...).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The sessions without page views seems to be equally distributed about the the dimensions as they are distributed as sessions with page views.

Is it possible that the session is split. A user has session 1 with a page view and is then inactive 30+min and then clicks the link (triggering the event) which might be counted as a second session by GA with an event but without the page view? (The link leads to a different domain, not tracked by GA).

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, your scenario can explain visits with event and without page view but it is an exception, so it has to concern few sessions.
Maybe, You can create a segment on user scope to see how many sessions are made by users without landing page