Analytics
5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Avg. Session Duration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to know about "Avg. Session Duration" in Analytic. What is the range of best "Avg. Session Duration" for a website?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Avg. Session Duration

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Ho @lalendra k,

There are many variables that determine what is best for a website session, and different industries have different ideals, too. Is it an informational website? Is it an research website? Is it an online building widgets tool? Is it an eCommerce website? As you see... these all would have different ideal goals for how long they would want to hold a visitor on their websites. 

I can say that after being a website developer since around 1996 and a digital marketing professional since around 2000, your average should be as long as it takes you to complete your goal for conversion. Do you just want someone to land on your website and fill out a form? That should take about 15 seconds. Do you want them to read your front page and click through to one other page, read two articles and hit the contact us page? That should take about 130 seconds. Do you want them to shop your store, load up a shopping cart and check out? That should take about 600 seconds.

These are all guesses, of course, as your averages will come from the study of Google Analytics data and understanding your specific website. Your reported averages will come after Analytics has enough data to compare and compile actual average sessions.

Further, you need to have goals for your visitors that focus on conversions (a completed task), then Analytics will have more meaning. 

With that said, you certainly do not want 3 seconds... since really none of us can do much in 3 seconds. Robot Happy 120 seconds (2 minutes is a typical goal) and means the visitor spent a decent amount of time doing something. Over 2 minutes and they are considered engaged. (again these may not apply to your website)

Please review this Google Help File regarding session duration averages. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks James to share your experience and i truly got about "Avg. Session Duration". its total depend on type of website and goal.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Very welcome, @lalendra k.

Have fun with Analytics and let us know how things go.

Kind Regards,

James