Analytics
4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Avg Session Duration of 0 sec

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Can the session duration show zero value even if a person is simply scrolling down an auto loading page without clicking anywhere else on the page?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sumit H
September 2016

Re: Avg Session Duration of 0 sec

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Sumit H,

Yes it can.

Analytics is calculating the duration of time from the first activity of the session to the last. So without them clicking or triggering an event or action, Analytics does not know the time to calculate. And remember that it is the average so if there is a high bounce rate involved, those will be calculated, too.

Kind Regards,

James 

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sumit,

unless you implemented some kind of scroll tracking this is standard behaviour because a duration needs to have two timestamps at least to calculate the time difference. In this sense, a one-page session can't have a duration and shows a plain zero here.

Christoph

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sumit H
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Sumit H,

Yes it can.

Analytics is calculating the duration of time from the first activity of the session to the last. So without them clicking or triggering an event or action, Analytics does not know the time to calculate. And remember that it is the average so if there is a high bounce rate involved, those will be calculated, too.

Kind Regards,

James 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Looks like I was writing while @webfield was replying. My apologies for adding to his great answer. 

- James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks James. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Christoph. Will work on getting the scroll tracking done. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Very welcome, Sumit.

Please visit again and let us know if we can help further.

Kind Regards,

James