Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Average session time is shorter than average time on page, how is that possible?

N/A
# 1
N/A

One of our clients asked me the following question:

How is it possible that the average session time on my website is 00:04:39 while the average time on a page is 00:25:34 ? 

Sessions from bounces are counted 30 minutes right? So that can't be it.

Please help Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Average session time is shorter than average time on page, how is that possible?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Yes here is a great article that I believe Theo Bennett wrote on misunderstood metrics, there are several articles out their that you should read on the mterics and how they are confused by the names GA has given them.
http://help.analyticsedge.com/googleanalytics/misunderstood-metrics-time-on-page-session-duration/

Re: Average session time is shorter than average time on page, how is that possible?

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Brian,

I appreciate the note, but that was not my article, I simply linked to it. I believe Mike S was the author. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great article indeed, thanks a lot!