Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Average Session Duration is ZERO...Why is that??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running an ad campaign with a company and for some reason my average session duration is coming out as ZERO. Do you know why this could be?? Is it a website issue, Google issue, or an ad issue??

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sessions: 44

Bounce Rate: 100%

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Amanda B that's the reason why you have 0 seconds session duration (your bounce rate is 100%). Try getting more quality traffic to your website and you'll see better numbers.

Here you'll find a longer explanation: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Reports/Bounce-and-Sessions/m-p/599111/hi...

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Amanda, 

@Taavi Kalvi brings up a good point. Additionally it does depend on the structure of your website/landing page. Is there any chance you're using a single page website or a landing page with no option to navigate outside of the page? 

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is the landing page: www.crewsafe.com.

It has plenty of options to move about on the site...I am unsure why people aren't clicking off the homepage. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Taavi! It makes a little more sense now. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

A few notes: 

#1 I ran your website through Google's Page Speed Tool and it needs some work. Try it yourself and apply the suggestions: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=www.crewsafe.com&tab=desktop

#2 You have a UI/UX Problem. Your navigation URLs are not inherently obvious. I suggest you include a navigation bar in your header. 

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So we updated our hosting company and now our site is a lot faster. Also, i added the word "menu" next to the menu bar...to make it obvious. I also changed the links to my ad to a specific page and i am still getting 0 as my bounce rate. Any other ideas of what is happening??

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Amanda BI guess your session duration is 0, not a bounce rate. 100% bounce rate is not always bad at all if people find everything on the landing page.

I have seen a couple of blogs posts that have 100% bounce rate and it's normal. Keep in mind, a bounce is a session with a single engagement hit. Here you can learn more about that if you're interested.

As @Joshua R already mentioned if you want people to visit multiple pages on your website, you'll need to improve your UX/UI design even more so that it's easier to navigate from one page to another.

Recommend installing Hotjar to figure out what people actually do on your website and why many of them do know move from one page to another.

Hope this helps.

Taavi