Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Average Qty in eCommerce Implementation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have implemented enhanced eCommerce on our website and most of the data that we are capturing is correct. However, the average quantity field seems to be incorrect and is always close to 1 (maximum being 1.02). There is some issue in calculation as total quantity is shown as 2648 and transactions as 1702. So the average should be 1.56 but it is shown as 1.01. 

Is there a system setting that needs to be changed to make it correct?

Best Regards

Himanshu Joshi

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Average Qty in eCommerce Implementation

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Himanashu,

please check this article for a more detailed explanation - https://www.optimizesmart.com/e-commerce-tracking-works-google-analytics-ultimate-guide/.

To simplify there is a diferrence between reporting on set of products or a single product in a transaction.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Thanks for the info.
My question is if the total quantity is getting calculated correctly, why is the average quantity incorrect?
How do I change the reporting structure to include average on total quantity in my standard ecommerce reports?

Thanks
Himanshu

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

average qty is calculated as:
Average Quantity = Quantity / Unique Purchases

# of transactions is usually not the same as # of unique purchases.

So there is no transactions in the calculation. If you want a metric which will tell you quantity / transactions then your options are do the calc outside GA or create a calculated metric in the GA admin on view level where you will choose a float type metric and set it as {{Quantity}} / {{Transactions}}.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net