Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Audience overview: User count much higher than sessions count

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

Our user count has always been lower than our session count, as I would expect it to be. Last month we started seeing a strange phenomenon where our user count it significantly higher than our session count.

You can see the phenomena in this screenshot. I know that this can happen if looking at a single page, but here I'm looking at the overview for the whole site.

Anyone know what might be going on here?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Start here: https://www.humix.be/en/blog/more-users-than-sessions-in-google-analytics/

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Julien,

I've read a similar post by someone else, which is also why I mentioned that I know this can happen when looking at single page metrics. I don't understand how this is relevant for my situation though, since the report I'm looking at is the complete audience overview. Would you be willing to elaborate?

On a side note, I've found the date(s) when this started happening, which was april 24/25. I've had a look at the code changes done those two days, but have found nothing that looks like it could affect GA. Smiley Sad

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Take a look at this video by my colleague Corey Koberg:

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/google-analytics-tips/why-you-may-have-more-users-than-sessions-ad...

Also, does your site use iframes?

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roger K
June

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Roger K,

This might be related to your Google Analytics implementation. As far as I know, a session is initialized with a pageview. If you have events on the page and no pageview hit happens later, this will create a user but no session. Please double check your Google Analytics implementation.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again,

As far as I can tell, that video says pretty much the same as the article? I get the point that the numbers might seem non-intuitive when viewing page-level reports, but I'm actually seeing the strangeness in the "Audience overview" which as far as I know takes the whole site into account.

The only iframes that should be in use on our site should be when Doubleclick for Publishers is serving our ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the hint, Güney,

I checked out events overview and see that the number of events exploded on the relevant day. It turns out it's a Content Pass snippet that is sending events to our analytics, as expected, but I had no idea it was inflating our user count.

Disabling this now and checking with them if there's anything to do about this.

(The reason I did not uncover this when looking at the code that was put in production on this day, was that it was deployed earlier. It was behind a feature flag and not activated until this day.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Small update here: I've talked to the ContentPass guys, and they have issued a fix for this issue. I'm currently using the snippets analytics reporting again, and it's working just fine. Quick response!