Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information
 
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Audience Overview data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Starting May 23-24 we experience drop in Audience Overview report (almost 97% drop in sessions compare to May 22). This keeps going until today. Previous data was consistently much higher. Any clue what might be the reason? No development been done on site at that period. Any help would be appreciated. 

 

Just a visual representation so it's easier to understand what is the issue. 

 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vadym R
July 2016

Re: Audience Overview data

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Vadym,

Sure looks like your tracking code may no longer be on the site. Any changes around that time? If not, have you taken an SEO hit or stopped paid traffic? You may want to install the chrome extension called Tag Assistant and check your site:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...


Go to Acquisition>>All Traffic>>Source/Medium and select a date range after May 24 and select compare to previous period in the date range selector. Then change your sort type to absolute change to see the sources that you've lost.

Good luck!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Audience Overview data

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Vadym,

Theo gave you an amazing advice. Smiley Happy

If you cannot figure out the reason, please share your website URL then we have a chance to debug your tracking code. It's pretty hard to say what might cause that problem at the glance.

Taavi

Re: Audience Overview data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo, thanks for answer.

 

We are on Magento and it has built in connection to Google Analytics, I just have to specify Analytics account number. 

No changes been made to the site at that time; however we had some changes made in the beginning of March - could it be that Analytics catch them up only after almost 3 month? 

 

 

Regardless, as suggested, I installed Tag Assistant and it was showing some errors for Analytics code (outside of head, blocked requests). 

Outside of head - is the way Magento implements Google Analytics.

Blocked requests - caused by Avira and AdBlock extensions in my browser. 

 

I disabled built in functionality of Magento and added JS code to the head section of the template. It did catch my entry in real-time report. 

I guess I can't really say if that is a solution, as I don't have data for entire day. I will monitor it and reply again if things are not looking right. 

 

My concern is - many people are using AdBlock or some sort of antivirus extensions in the browser. When I had extensions activated and been on a site - Real-time traffic didn't show me.