Analytics
4.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Attribution to Landing Pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

We have set up a website for our partner with the goal of tracking lead form completions.

In order to try to understand better which pages work better for conversion, I can generate a custom report with goal completions grouped by Landing Pages (see picture)

The issue is, I don't really understand what I'm looking at. How does GA attribute conversion to the Landing Pages? Does it attribute a conversion to every single page a user visited during the session where he converted? Or just to the last page? Or something else?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thankscustom report.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Attribution to Landing Pages

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Landing Page is the page the visitor started their session on. So if your website had three pages as follows:
Page1, Page2, and Page3

If I came to your website and the page I entered your website was Page2 then Page2 would be my landing page, during the course of my session I may visit Page1 and Page3 but I entered, started or landed on Page 2.

Re: Attribution to Landing Pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Bryan

That's what I figured, but I've encountered an odd situation while looking at numbers from the landing pages I share through our social media account. We have a set of UTMs that we only use for social, and we never (ever) just share the home page, so why is the home page attributed for the majority of our signups and revenue? 

Any ideas?