Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Attribution - Lookback window

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Happy Friday everyone!

I am wondering if there is any way to increase the lookback window in Analytics to greater than 90 days? If not in free, can this be done in 360 Analytics or 360 Attribution? 

Thanks!

RS

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Nope, the lookback window can't be more than 90 days. What is the business case or scenario where you would need more than 90 days?

For example, in the automotive industry, sometimes the decision process is long - but even then, because of cookie deletion, cross device and such, going beyond 90 days would be highly unreliable. Instead, you have to rely on micro-conversions as indirect signals of "moving the needle" toward the ultimate business goal.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply Stéphane. I was thinking of linking with customer data for lifetime value - so a customer initially finds out about the brand through social media, browses the site but doesn't purchase, then performs a brand PPC search a few months later when they are in the market to buy, browses again, then comes back direct the following month and makes a purchase. We then have them in the CRM database so can start recording all of their purchases and lifetime value - it'd be good in an instance like that to give some weight, even if it's just anecdotally, to Social a as channel which has driven a loyal long term customer. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks 

Rebecca

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rebecca S
July

Re: Attribution - Lookback window

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Great - I understand and it's a very legitimate goal.

With some fancy work it would be possible, but outside of GA.

Thinking out loud:

• create two custom dimensions: client id & user id
  • at first, the user id is unknown, so you have: cid-123, anonymous
  • when the user finally authenticate, you now have cid-123, user-abc
  • extract all cid & user ids, and the source/medium & other relevant info for each session
  • programmatically look back at older sessions and assign user-abc to all cid-123 that didn't have a user-id. You might also have multiple cid with the same user id (for example, clearing cookies, or using a different device, but eventually authenticating at some point in the future)
  • use the approach you want to create your own attribution model - and you can go as far back... from the point where you implement this

This is what I would call "true session unification" since it can assign a user id to previous session (contrary to "session unification" provided out of the box by GA where it only assigns the user id as long as it was during the same session...)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Stéphane! I like this approach but wish I had a system to do it for me! It is very frustrating about the session unification in GA as other tools on the market can do it - do you have any idea why GA doesn't?

Thanks

Rebecca

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The very first time the concept of session unification was presented to me I said it should go back to previous sessions. There were two arguments against it: #1) Google doesn't apply any modification backward and #2) privacy (although this second argument is a catch all and is usually followed by "we can't talk about it")...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again Stéphane, the privacy thing does seem strange when other tools are doing it and they have this 'probablistic' linking on their roadmap apparently...

Rebecca