Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

AquisitionReports: MovfromGoogleToUniversalAnalytics - traffic split

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all, 

I will much appreciate if u could share your experience with me regarding: 

Do Universal Analytics has any changes of the default attribution in comparison to Google Analytics?

What I experience now: is when by switching my Properties from Google Analytics  to Universal Analytics Traffic split changes - I have significantly less organic but more direct traffic. 

Can it be caused through the logic what Universal sees as organic and what as direct, may be Google Analytics had another logic on it. 

Do someone experince such kind of problem or can tell that such a case of the logic change Google to Universal is impossible (which means I have some probmen in the set up...)

Thanks in Advance

Re: AquisitionReports: MovfromGoogleToUniversalAnalytics - traffic spl

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alona,

Generally speaking Universal Analytics records approx 8% less data than Classic Analytics.

My guess at this point would be that Classic Analytics used to group various search engines as "Organic" visits and Universal Analytics gives you the option to choose which search engines you want to add to "Organic". Admin > Property > Tracking Info > Organic Search Sources > Add Search Engine.

As for the increase in directs, this is likely because Universal Analytics uses Measurement Protocol which is venerable with regards to Ghost Referral Spam. Check Audience > Technology > Network > Hostname and make sure that the only hostname in the list is your own. All others may be counting at "direct" and they are spam.

If you do have spam then follow these instructions : https://goo.gl/p8qd1C

Re: AquisitionReports: MovfromGoogleToUniversalAnalytics - traffic spl

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian,

thanks for ur answer Smiley Happy

Do u know if there is any "official" information regarding:
"Generally speaking Universal Analytics records approx 8% less data than Classic Analytics"

Admin > Property > Tracking Info > Organic Search Sources > Add Search Engine
All Important are set up, thanks! Smiley Happy I guess google, yahoo, bing is not necesary to set up.

Audience > Technology > Network > Hostname
Here is near 1% of all Traffic from not my domain, so much influence on the whole picture of the traffic split it won t have Smiley Sad Anyway this 1% is worth to filter out, you are right! Thanks one more Smiley Happy

I guess than smth has to be wrong with the implementation...

KR,
Alona