Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Anyone familiar with Related Products metrics?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I've recently been asked to do a "basket analysis" of products sold together and was really excited to find a "Related Products" feature within GA, but couldn't find too many resources on how to best utilize and interpret this data. 

I turned on Related Products late last week (have about 6 months worth of ecommerce data) and got the following results: There were 2 products that had a correlation score of 1, with 20 quantity for the Queried Product and 32 for the Related Product. I interpreted this as saying there were a total of 20 units sold of Product 1 that occurred within the same transactions as 32 units of Product 2, with the full correlation score of 1 indicating that all transactions with Product 1 also contained Product 2. 

However, I looked up the full history of the Queried Product and found only 12 quantity purchased, with no instances of the Related Product being in the same transactions. The only definition for the quantity metric I could find from Google's support page is "quantity of the product being queried," which doesn't shed any light on how it's related to, well, related products.  

I also noticed that this report will return the same data no matter what date range is selected in the query - is that intended?

Any insights on how to interpret the output of this report would be greatly appreciated. 

Best,

Mike

Here's all I could find on the subject:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6223409?hl=en

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/dimsmets#view=detail&group=related_...

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/03/28/find-related-products-purchased-together-in-google-analyt...

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike X
December 2016

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hey Mike,

Had a chance to review and I can confirm that date selection is not used for this report.  It's a cumulative number and indeed the query and related product quantities do not correspond to actuals.  To what do they correspond?  I do not know but can only hypothesize that it's a total related product count. 

That said, I personally use the report with clients to look at trends of what's sold together as in input into recommendation engines.   The one metric of interest to us is the correlation score which is calculated based up how often products are purchased together AND also accounts for product popularity. 

I'll file a help doc clarification request and look to corner someone at the next GA summit.  Smiley Happy

Lastly you shouldn't use the data for anything until you've had at least 30 days of data and a significant number of transactions.

Best,

Theo Bennett

P.S. Lunametrics does great work so I would have confidence in whatever they wrote.

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Mike,

I haven't looked at one in a while and don't have time at the moment to pull via the API.  That said, it only starts collecting once you turn it on and it's not immediate.  Try to compare a complete day (perhaps the day after you turned it on) and see what you get..

Hope that helps,

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply Theo!

I tried but am still seeing the same problems. First, I tried pulling this report with 12/20/16 as the starting and ending dates, but the results are exactly the same even if I change the date to 12/19 or 12/18. This makes me think the related products dimensions/metrics either do not follow input date range (broken) or always uses all available Ecommerce data.

Have you ever seen anything that provides more info/context around how to best use/interpret this report outside of Google and that Lunametrics blog? 

Best,

Mike

Re: Anyone familiar with Related Products metrics?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
I haven't seen the Lunametrics post but seem to recall writing one of my
own. I should be able to look tomorrow .

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike X
December 2016

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hey Mike,

Had a chance to review and I can confirm that date selection is not used for this report.  It's a cumulative number and indeed the query and related product quantities do not correspond to actuals.  To what do they correspond?  I do not know but can only hypothesize that it's a total related product count. 

That said, I personally use the report with clients to look at trends of what's sold together as in input into recommendation engines.   The one metric of interest to us is the correlation score which is calculated based up how often products are purchased together AND also accounts for product popularity. 

I'll file a help doc clarification request and look to corner someone at the next GA summit.  Smiley Happy

Lastly you shouldn't use the data for anything until you've had at least 30 days of data and a significant number of transactions.

Best,

Theo Bennett

P.S. Lunametrics does great work so I would have confidence in whatever they wrote.

Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Theo,

I thought the 30 days was for Ecommerce transaction data as a whole (which I have about 6 months worth, including 100,000+ transactions). Otherwise I'm not sure how some of the queried and related quantity can be in the 100s or 1000s one day after turning Related Products on. I'll check again in a few weeks just in case to see if the correlation score makes more sense then.

I noticed in your reply that correlation score took into account products purchased together AND product popularity - the first makes sense but I'm not sure how popularity would be factored in here. Would that be based on PDP views or add-to-carts within the same sessions? All the resources I linked to said this report was based on transaction data, which I assumed to only include transaction ID, quantity, revenue, etc. instead of general Enhanced Ecommerce metrics.

I'd be fine without the quantity metrics but want to be sure I'm interpreting the correlation score correctly. The lunametrics post does an excellent job of describing the report and providing instructions on how to pull it, but unfortunately didn't have much on interpreting what the metrics actually mean.  

If Product A and Product B have a perfect correlation score of 1, shouldn't that mean all purchases containing Product A also contained Product B? If the correlation score is 0, shouldn't that mean Product A and Product B have never been purchased together? 

^I guess the above is what I'm looking for the answers to, along with a more detailed explanation on how the metrics are calculated/incremented. I will accept your answer for now - but know that I'm counting on you to come back with that doc clarification and GA summit insight! Smiley Happy

Best,

Mike

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Theo,

After waiting for 30+ days from when I turned on Related Products, I'm still seeing the same issues as before. 

Example 1:

Queried Product QTY - 16

Related Product QTY - 5

Correlation Score - 1

However, I looked up all 5 transactions containing Queried Product and found 0 containing Related Product. 

Example 2:

Queried Product QTY - 9

Related Product QTY - 227

Correlation Score - 1

Same as example 1, I looked up all 12 transactions containing Queried Product and found none with Related Product. 

Have you heard back about the doc clarification request?

Best,

Mike