Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics shows bounce rate higher than 100%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a really scenario where some of my pages are showing a bounce rate higher than 100% (150%, 250%, 600% etc.)

I have searched high and low for any information about this but can't find anything anywhere.

If anyone could help that would be great!  Thanks in advance.

Colin

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Colin C
May 2016

Re: Analytics shows bounce rate higher than 100%

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Bounce rate is bounces/sessions, but sessions are counted only on the first hit of a session. If you have an event that triggers before the page view, the session count can get associated with the event. That leaves a bounce without a session causing the average rate to exceed 100%.

A better calculaton on the behavior reports would be bounces/unique page views.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Colin C
May 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Bounce rate is bounces/sessions, but sessions are counted only on the first hit of a session. If you have an event that triggers before the page view, the session count can get associated with the event. That leaves a bounce without a session causing the average rate to exceed 100%.

A better calculaton on the behavior reports would be bounces/unique page views.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much, Mike.

That's a great answer!

Colin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike, I'm facing the same problem. Would you be able to give me an example of the situation ean event is complete before entry page is loaded?
That would help me a lot Smiley Happy
Thnx
Aga

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Here's an example specific to my own site. I use an analytics plugin that excludes my own traffic, but I added javascript to my pages to trigger events for specific actions. When I visit my own site, I trigger the events but my plugin suppresses the pageviews. I end up with sessions with events and no pageviews.

I am not a javascript expert, but I've seen some cases where people are rewriting their analytics tracking code, messing up the order of the hits.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks Mike!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for the answer. I'm facing the same issue. Can you please elaborate? 

Let's say a user has landed my site and I've an event triggered on the landing page before my GA tag fires. And that user takes no other action, so it's a bounce.

You mention that first event is associated with session; leaving the bounce without a session. But doesn't GA counts the pageview in the same session?

1- User lands on the page

2- An event is triggered therefore a GA session has started

3- Then my pageview request is sent

Now I have 1 session with 1 event and 1 pageview request. So this should not be counted as bounce by GA. I appreciate if you can explain the flaw on this example.

Many thanks!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

For the calculation of bounces, Google Analytics uses pageview (I think it is actually 'interaction') hits only. Events are typically non-interaction hits.

What you get is:

hit: event; session count=1; event=1

hit: pageview; session count=0; pageview=1; bounce=1;

In reporting, session-level reports would aggregate the event and pageview metrics, so you would still see sessions=1; bounces =1; pageviews=1