Analytics
3.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics not tracking Facebook referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We have an affiliate program running our website and we use Google Analytics, usually we can see in our reports a referral source which we can link back to an affiliate and then also match sessions etc. we can compare these sessions to the visits tracking in our Affiliate software.

However, over the past week one of our Affiliates have tracked over 300 visits to the website and no such sessions have been recorded in our Analytics reports. 

Investigating these visits, I found the referrals were coming via an Affiliate link posted on Facebook... I have read a few posts now about people having issues tracking Facebook referrals in their analytics however nothing in regards to Affiliate Facebook links. 

I just wondered if we were facing a similar issue or whether this issue is related to the particular Affiliate.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom H
June

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, if they put the UTM parameters for your links that they post, it will be tracked in your GA.

I hope this helps you to solve your issue.

Regards

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Tom H,

You should use UTM parameters on your links on Facebook otherwise Google Analytics cannot identify the acquisition source and it sets that sessions as direct traffic.

Please take a look at the following article about UTM parameters: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863?hl=en

Campaign Builder: link

I hope this helps you to solve your problem.

Regards

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Thanks for the response and suggestion

Yes this seems to be the fix most people suggest, however the links which are being posted on Facebook are from our Affiliates so we do not have the access to edit or place UTM on their links.

Our option from this would be to request Affiliates to do this when they post links on Facebook however will doing this track in our Analytics?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom H
June

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, if they put the UTM parameters for your links that they post, it will be tracked in your GA.

I hope this helps you to solve your issue.

Regards