Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics not recording Adwords Data - Bucketing into Google / Organic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
For Adwords, We are only using auto-tagging (gclid) but the gclid does not flow into GA. When we click on our paid search ads, we see the gclid inside the browser address bar, but GA real time results show that the source/medium of that click is "google/organic". The correct results should be "google/cpc".

Same results for Bing ads.

Next, we tried attaching a test UTM onto the URL (site.com/?utm_source=test&utm_medium=test). The custom parameters stays in the browser bar, however in Google Analytics, it does not register the correct source/medium as "test/test", instead, GA thinks it's "(direct)/(none)" traffic. 

If the browser bar is showing the gclid or UTMs, but GA is not showing the correct in the real time reports, what could be happening?

NOTE: we are using an Single Page Application framework named Meteor 1.4 with a https://github.com/GorillaStack/meteor-iron-router-gtm/pull/4 add on.
1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe N
December 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Do you have any redirects in place? i.e. your target link is redirecting to another - I've seen this strip away campaign tracking before. Real time reports are not always 100% accurate when it comes to showing the correct attribution, double check with what you see in the standard reports.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@John W is on it with great advice.

This is what Google has said about a real-time report:

"Due to a change in the way Universal Analytics sends and stores campaign information for Real-Time reporting, it is possible that, during a single session, a user stops being recognized as coming from a specific campaign and is instead counted as a direct referral.

As a result, you'll see traffic and conversions incorrectly attributed to a Source of (direct). You'll only see this in Real-Time reports; in standard reports, traffic and conversions will be attributed correctly.

An upcoming version of Real-Time reporting will not have this issue. In the mean time, however, you should be aware and interpret referral counts in Real-Time reporting appropriately. To mitigate this issue, you can either force the sending of campaign information on every hit within a session, or use standard reports (instead of Real-Time) when analyzing or reporting referral counts."

Source: Google Analytics help

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, John for the quick response.

We have domain level redirect (non-www to www) in place. Additionally, we are using Meteor, Blaze Templating framework, with iron-router (a single page application). Are you familiar with this framework?

Standard attribution shows that paid search is being bucketed into organic search, still. (20 days of data)

Occasionally, there will be one or two visits (out of avg. 300 per day) that fall under the google/cpc bucket, which seems odd, but most fall under google/organic.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

I'm not familiar with that set-up, no. I'd suggest that you test changing out your target URLs in adwords to exactly match that of your website - so that the redirect no longer becomes relevant. See what happens. 

If the gclid is being stripped off, then it's not a surprise that the visits get dumped into organic. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

Thank you for your help! There was a redirect that was happening that we missed. Although the gclid remain on the browser bar URL after the redirect, it was not passed into Google Analytics. 

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Great that you found the solution, glad I could help.