Analytics
3.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics have dropped since moved to a responsive website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Recently we developed and switched our site to a responsive layout.  Unfortunately when this happened we was our page views drop from 30,000 to 15,000 I have gone ahead and added the UA- code to the header but our site continues to lack page views it once had.  My website is ridermagazine.com and if I could get any insight as to why this would be happening I would be greatly appreciated,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics have dropped since moved to a responsive website

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ben
It sounds like your previous install of GA was faulty. It's extremely common (and I still make the same mistake sometimes) especially during redirects for an incorrectly configured GA snippet to record two pageview hits.

I've checked your site and it appears that GA is installed correctly. I don't know what the previous install looked like so I can only guess.

The other alternative is that your traffic actually did drop 50%. However, a perfect 50% drop indicates a double pageview count configuration issue to me to be honest. I've seen it way too many times. It's always weird to go from a broken configuration to a correctly working one because it looks like there is a problem and it's difficult to accept that the stats that you've been looking at for such a long time were inflated.

If you can, try install another analytics application, or use the impression data in your AdSense account to see if they match up. If they do, then you're all set. If not, then it may be time to explore some other reasons for an ACTUAL traffic drop (e.g, a drop in visitors, drop in traffic from a specific source, drop in organic search rankings etc.).

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me. This would make a lot of sense since a lot of these numbers are inline with what Jetpack is giving us on the back end. Currently I still have all of the files of the old site, is there a way to double check to see if on the old site it was running double Analytics? Essentially I would like to know what I am looking for in the script that would cause a double impression. Also is this something that google would pick up on if we were doing that? Thank you again I appreciate you getting back to me and I hope to hear from you soon.

NOTE: This post was edited by a Community Manager, per Community Guidelines, in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me. This would make a lot of sense since a lot of these numbers are inline with what Jetpack is giving us on the back end. Currently I still have all of the files of the old site, is there a way to double check to see if on the old site it was running double Analytics? Essentially I would like to know what I am looking for in the script that would cause a double impression. Thank you again I appreciate you getting back to me and I hope to hear from you soon.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I checked with our DoubleClick account and haven't noticed any steep decline on the impressions that we are giving out for our advertisements which leads me to believe I have messed something up on the end of setting up Analytics. I might be wrong but if I were to lose lets say 50% ours is more in the neighborhood of 63% wouldn't that be affected on our DoubleClick impressions? I guess the two aren't related but if I were losing traffic wouldn't that be affected in other areas of our Marketing?