Analytics
2.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information
 
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Analytics has stopped working, tracking code removed and added back in, still nothing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

One of our client's sites stopped reporting data on July 21st,

we've copied the code again from our analytics admin page and had their web company add it back in

just before the header close tag.

 

We've noticed that under property settings in the analytics admin page, that Property Hit Volume show

809 hits the last day, 5763 hits the last 7, and 31,956 for the last 30.  We have implemented a new marketing

television campaign, and would like to think those numbers are accurate and reflective of that,

but typically hits on the site were usually about half that.

 

site URL is *****

 

The only filter we have is Geo Report and that's set to "Include"  (FIXED: this was the issue)

 

We did notice that there was a forward slash at the end of the Default URL on the Property Settings Page,

and removed that, but I'm guessing that probably didn't affect anything.

 

Edit: Installed Google tag manager and I get an everything is a go (green tag) but nothing is showing up in real time.

Although looking deeper into the tag manager it has a suggested optimization that states a Non-standard implementation,

and states further that that suggestion is raised if Tag Assistant cannot find the Google analytics Snippet on the page, which seems to contradict the Green status of the tag?
( FIXED: a new piece of bad code was introduced trying to fix the original problem.)

 

Edit 2: we've removed that filter, we don't know who placed it there in the first place, not sure how long it will take to see any results.  (this was the fix!)

 

Any ideas?


Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brent F
August 2016

Re: Analytics has stopped working, tracking code removed and added back in, still nothing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response Brian!

Apparently some yet to be determined user had created a strange inclusive filter called Geo Report, on the very day we lost tracking data, I've removed that, and that was the problem!

 

After checking other forums and help articles it seems to be the standard issue for a total loss of tracking data is a bad filter.


Again, thank you for your time!

View solution in original post

Re: Analytics has stopped working, tracking code removed and added back in, still nothing

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
I do not see anything wrong with your code, I personally do not like to include REM statements inside my scripts I would move that outside the script much as you have the Piwik tracking code configured. But if the UA number is correct you should be seeing real time traffic data and be able to look at colected data with out any issues.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brent F
August 2016

Re: Analytics has stopped working, tracking code removed and added back in, still nothing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response Brian!

Apparently some yet to be determined user had created a strange inclusive filter called Geo Report, on the very day we lost tracking data, I've removed that, and that was the problem!

 

After checking other forums and help articles it seems to be the standard issue for a total loss of tracking data is a bad filter.


Again, thank you for your time!

Re: Analytics has stopped working, tracking code removed and added back in, still nothing

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Yes you are correct bad filters applied via the admin view section is a data killer there is a article floating around this forum that discribes how and why you should have multiple views and one of those views should be raw data never ever apply a filter to the raw data view.